BURNETT COUNTY (DrydenWire) — Two 18-year-old teens have died following an apparent drowning on Lipsett Lake, according to a press release from Burnett County Sheriff’s Office.
On September 1, 2023 at 5:01 p.m., Burnett County Dispatch received multiple 911 calls of two missing swimmers on Lipsett Lake, Town of Rusk. Multiple agencies responded utilizing air and water drones, underwater radar, boats and divers.
Grace Rhine and Kyree Schaw, both 18 years old and of Blaine, MN were located in 15-20 feet of water.
Life saving measures were unsuccessful and both were pronounced deceased at the scene. A third individual was transported to Spooner ER and was later released.
There was a strong wind and choppy waters which is believed to have contributed to the drownings.
Our hearts go out to the friends and family of Kyree and Grace.
- Fatal Motorcycle Vs. Car Collision Claims Life In Barron County
- 18-Year-Old Suspect In Custody After Fatal Shooting In Siren
- (Insider): Criminal Charges Filed Against Danbury Man In Burnett County Officer-Involved Shooting
This case remains under investigation by the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.
The Burnett County Sheriff’s Office thanks following agencies for their quick response and dedication:
- Webster Police Department
- St. Croix Hertel First Responders
- Jackson Fire Dept. Rescue and Dive Team
- The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- The Barron County Sheriff's Office
- The Burnett County Sheriff's Office
- North Memorial Ambulance
- Burnett Emergency Management
- Burnett County Medical Examiner’s Office
- K9 Emergency Response Team
-- Per Sheriff Tracy Finch